Monday, July 14, 2014

10 Pics + 10 things: Goblin Valley


I got behind again with the blogging.  Clearly.  But, our little weekender camp trip (over a month ago) really was so great!  And I have been dreaming and scheming of ways to get back out there again, but until then, this 2 day road trip reset my headspace and gave us some great memories.  Here are 10 pics and 10ish things about about our trek to Goblin Valley!


This was our little camp, and although the campgrounds are quite nice (flush toilets, showers?!) when you drive up, everything is so, so desolate.  I mean, not even any trees or shrubs to give privacy from one campsite to the next.  And yet, our camp was surprisingly private.  Those little cabana/shed things worked wonders.  Our spot was so just right for us--Jude climbed and climbed up the mellow boulders, but Leland could not reach to get up there on his own and so he happily played in the sand.


2 favorite quotes from Jude:

"Mom/Dad, I'm going to go climb mountains."

And then, as we were leaving camp, quietly to himself staring out the window we heard him say, "Oh, how did they make this whole, big world?"  Completely melted my mama heart.


Dave loves to snap pics of all the flowers and plants about when we hike.  And I like that about him. 


Leland was a pretty good little explorer--wandering about with us, but chill about being in the Ergo when we needed him to be.  He pretty much never left my side the whole trip.  I really love it so much that, for now, I'm his go-to girl.  




We hiked for a few hours in the blazing sun, and then went for a little drive to let the kids (and me) snooze for a bit.  We came back to a desert thunderstorm and a beautiful little rainbow above our heads.  Dave convinced me to shower even though I was like, "umm, we're camping?" and the water that came out of the spicket was literally a trickle.  It felt so good though walking back all fresh and clean.  We made dinner, and read books to the kids in the tent, and then put them to bed--which was not easy, but after singing for like, 20 minutes, they were both out.


Perhaps my very favorite moment on this trip would have to have been climbing up the rocks right behind our camp, after the kiddos were asleep.  Dave and I sat there, looking up at the stars, sipping on whiskey, talking softly into the wee hours of the night.  One of those rare times we just got to sit and connect, without worry about being back for a babysitter, or checking our phones.  It was magic.




The next day we packed up camp and walked up Little Wild Horse for a bit.  We might have had to turn around right when the canyon became a slot canyon, but I'm proud of these dudes for being troopers most of the time, in 100+ degree heat. 



And 1 more to grow on....



I have decided I'm going to keep track of the amount of times I end up packing the kids around like this!

1 comment:

  1. Love these! I am so not in a vacation, or even mini-vacation spot right now, but I kind of felt like I got one just looking at your photos. Can you carry me in a carrier next time??

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...