Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The chairs have it!



A few years ago, I scored these super sweet chairs + one pretty-alright-for-the-time-being table from the classifieds for $125 total.  Let it be said that these are my best thrifty purchase EVER, as I am a horrible thrifter/craigs-lister (I basically just buy it when I get there, even though I know it's a bad choice).


Soon after I bought them, I recovered them in some Ikea fabric that felt right at the time.  Since we were renting, a bolder fabric choice seemed fun.  AND Jude was still confined to eating in a high chair...big AND there, because I had no idea as a first time mom just how grubby little hands could be.  Fast forward to the past year, and these chairs are pretty much smeared with dry yogurt/oatmeal/etc. most of the time.  I could clean them up pretty well, but they'd only stay clean a short time. 



After the first experience of recovering them, I was d-r-e-a-d-i-n-g the thought of a re-do.  Yet, I s-e-r-i-o-u-s-l-y had to.  See where this is going?  Yep, we ended up recovering the chairs.  This time around, I was a little smarter, and bought an electric stapler.  So no carpal tunnel flare-ups.  And I was a lot smarter because I basically had Dave do all the new stapling.  While I undid all the old stapling.



We did these over the course of a couple of nights, and once while watching A Few Good Men.  I think the 90s dramatic piano theme really was key...  Puh-lease click that link!


We chose a felted vinyl in a soft white color, and I'm super happy with how they turned out.  The vinyl feels soft to the touch, much like leather (and not plastic-y like cheap vinyl) plus they wipe up clean in no time flat.


What's surprising is just how much calmer the room feels now.  Like, a true sigh of relief from the jumbled floral grey pattern that was before.  And, I even like my random free rug better.  So, in the end, it was totally worth it to just jump in, and git 'er done!  Ya know?  I don't know how many times I have to re-learn that lesson...

Anyway, can you guess what's up next?  Hint: What's grey and white all over?

5 comments:

  1. Brutal project, but totally worth it. Do I look weird to you in that pic?.. Uh yeah..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, still laughing about that one. Thanks for being a good sport. :)

      Delete
  2. Those new chair covers are so much better! Isn't it funny how you really like something and then when you re-do it later you are all like "wow, so much better this time around". Yes, I may have done that once or twice (or a million times). Can't wait to see those frames filled up, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, def a necessary change. And frames are filled up and I love them so much--now just gotta figure out how to take photos of them minus the glare... :)

      Delete
  3. I love the white and am excited to see your gallery wall evolve! (I truly hope gallery walls never go out of style. I will be devastated!)

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...